Secure care


On release the young person will have any conditions of release explained to them by the secure unit staff and the young person’s social worker. The secure unit is no longer responsible for the young person.

It is good practice that young people who are not being met on release by a friend or family member are met by the Lead and/or other professional. The National Standards for Youth Justice Provision in Scotland (Centre for Youth & Criminal Justice, 2013) recommend the Lead Professional meets with the young person within one working day and regularly following this. Under the National Outcomes and Standards for Social Work Services in the Criminal Justice System individuals subject to release on licence should be seen by the local authority social worker on the day of release.

In some cases, outreach support continues to be provided by the secure unit and funding this would be the responsibility of the local authority where the young person ordinarily resides. All young people are encouraged to continue to contact units to let them know how they are doing and for advice or guidance.

Third sector

Third sector organisations can support young people in the community post-release and support their engagement with other services.

Resources for this page