Children going to YOI must be transported to and from Court using transport which is appropriate for children, minimises delays and does not put them in contact with adult prisoners or accused (Scottish Government, 2021).
All children are transported from court to custody by GEOAmey under contract from the Scottish Government.
Secure transport providers are responsible for:
- Transporting the child in a timely manner
- Providing any support the child may require on the journey
- Securely transporting all information and the child’s property (in a sealed bag)
- Briefing YOI staff on arrival of any concerns/issues during the journey
All children will be transported in individual compartments within the vehicle. They will not be handcuffed during this time but will be when moving to/from any secure building.
Arrival at the YOI
On arrival the child will go through the YOI reception. The escort provider and receiving officer will ensure all relevant paperwork and the child’s belongings are handed over.
Resources for this page
- Scottish Government. (2021). Standards for those working with children in conflict with the law. Edinburgh: Scottish Government.