Following initial contact the prison social worker arranges further appointments with the prisoner to engage with him in preparing an action plan which must be completed within four weeks of the case being allocated. Bear in mind that risk assessment, planning, risk management and notification tasks now have to be co-ordinated with other agencies as part of the ICM process.
Where appropriate the prison social worker will also complete a risk assessment. Risk assessments are completed for all prisoners subject to Circular 18 requirements and those who have committed offences listed on the SWSG Initial Risk of Harm Assessment.
Risk Marix 2000 will be completed at this stage. A SWSG RA4 will be completed prior to completion of parole reports. Both assessments will be updated prior to the pre-release planning stage when a Risk Management Plan will also be completed.
Case Study: Richard Leon
You will find below a completed Risk Matrix 2000 Sex Offender risk assessment for Mr Leon together with the completed SWSG RA4 risk assessment form.
Under the Case Study heading in the Family/Child Protection section of the map you will find extracts from the Social Enquiry Report provided for Mr Leon's court appearance and a completed SWSG RA4 risk assessment form. There are also three videos depicting different events from the case and indicating the complexity of work with Schedule 1 offenders.
Under the Case Study heading in the Pre-Release Meeting section of the map you will find discussion by the sex offender liaison officer for the City of Edinburgh Council Social Work Department about his role, risk management case conferences and discussion about Mr Leon's case.
Case Study Files
- Mr Leon case study: completed SEJD RA4 form (PDF, 129KB)
- Mr Leon case study: completed Risk Matrix 2000 form. (PDF, 84KB)
- Risk Matrix 2000: Risk of violent Offending (PDF, 72KB)
- Risk Matrix 2000: Risk of Sexual Offending (PDF, 83KB)
- SWSG RA4 Form: Assessing High Risk Offenders (PDF, 116KB)
- Report of the Committee on Serious and Violent Sex Offenders. Annex 6 Current Risk Assessment Instruments (PDF, 2.1MB)
- Kemshall, H. (2002) Risk Assessment and Management of Serious and Violent Sexual Offenders: a review of current issues. (PDF, 515KB)
- Scottish Executive (2000) Report of the Committee on Serious Violent and Sexual Offenders. (PDF, 460KB)
- Scottish Executive (2000) Report of the Committee on Serious Violent and Sexual Offenders. Annex 6 Current Risk Assessment Instruments. (PDF, 2.1MB)