January 23-25 2008 Edinburgh International Conference Centre
A study of learning for practice through post qualifying education arrangements in Scotland from 2001-08
Keywords: recognition of learning in practice, portfolio preparation for assessment, strategies for supporting CPD
Authors: Ms Kate Skinner (Quality Assurance Board - PQ Consortium for Social Work in Scotland); Ms Mary Coles (PQ Consortium for Social Work in Scotland)
In this workshop we will contextualise postqualifying (PQ) social work learning in Scotland, and then describe a study of this learning activity in Scotland over a seven year period. The aims of the study were to:
- Obtain a picture of candidate profiles and their PQ activity
- Examine their experience as learners in the workplace and on accredited programmes
- Explore the experience of assessors and mentors
- Evaluate the impact of supports for candidates' learning
Data were collected from records, surveys and selected interviews with, among others, candidates, assessors, mentors and academics.
The key themes of the workshop are therefore:
- The integration of learning and practice through critical analysis and reflection which facilitates knowledge generation, knowledge transfer and knowledge use
- Integrating research awareness and understanding into practice
- The creation of communities of learning and the support required for learning in the workplace to be developed, recognised, formalised and submitted for assessment
- Learning collaboratively across professions, agencies and teams
The workshop will contain input on our preliminary findings from the study, plenary discussion and small group or pairs exercises. This will draw upon participants' views and experiences of workplace learning and its assessment; what helps and what hinders; and the most effective structures and process that facilitate the integration of this learning into organisational development.
This workshop will be of interest to practitioners, trainers and managers and others with responsibilities for developing and facilitating CPD opportunities for individuals and staff teams and at strategic policy levels.
Date: Wednesday 23 January 2008, 1.30-3.00
Venue: Carrick Two
Organised by the Institute for Research and Innovation in Social Services in association with PEPE (Practical Experiences in Professional Education).